[Out of print: See the once more revised and expanded 4th edition.]
Description and use of the Telemeter, Horary, and Sine Quadrant. Third, expanded and revised edition.
The fundamental concepts of distance and altitude calculations, as well as advanced tutorials, formulas, and reference tables. New part about mastering time and date by observing and calculating the apparent movement of the sun and the stars.
The Wndsn Quadrant Telemeter is a simple observational tool for measuring angles via various inputs combined with a number of means to directly process the acquired values. This instrument is equally useful in altimetry, surveying, etc., for taking altitudes, and determining right-angled triangles. This manual is about the theory and practice of the instrument.
Mastery of Time and Space is an addendum to the Grimoire Quadrantis Telemetrum which covers setup, history, as well as the functions and tutorials regarding the mastery of space. The addendum explains the functions provided to help master time and date, by observing and calculating the movement of the Sun across the ecliptic, and year.
This third edition of the manual, once again revised and expanded, will be of interest to those who want to know what these instruments and the ancient features are all about, to those who have just acquired a Quadrant Telemeter looking for a hands-on introduction to the topic, as well as to the experts who want to push the boundaries of what their Telemeter can do.
The novice as well as the seasoned practitioner with practical interest and the teacher looking to demonstrate concepts in tangible ways are equally addressed and will find big picture information as well as detailed explanations. Various additional reference materials have also been included to create a Rosetta stone of trigonometry and a standalone resource for emergency or austere situations.
Using a Wndsn Quadrant Telemeter to determine latitude (at night with Polaris), calculate declination of the day with the respective arc, and a measurement of the Sun altitude (backsighting), one can derive at least 18 data points and actually calculate all of them directly on the quadrant.
- Wndsn Quadrant Telemeters - Graphical Telemetry Computers: Official Manual
The manual provides background science and history, set up instructions, reference materials, and advanced tutorials on the following topics:
- Quadrant and Inclinometer Operation
- Measuring the Depth of a Well
- Shadow Square Operation
- Finding Tangent
- Measuring from an Elevation
- Measuring an Elevated Object
- Finding Sine and Cosine
- Using the Obliquity Arc
- Extending the Scales
- Powers of 10 and Scale Jumps
- Measuring Angular Size
- Measuring Size Instead of Distance
- Resection: Triangulation, Trilateration, Triangulateration
- Resection Error Margins
- Small-Angle Calculations
- Accuracy Estimations
- Calibrating Device Resolution
All new or substantially revised:
- Sun Sighting
- Sun Calculations
- Measuring Local Latitude
- Measuring Sun Altitude
- Using The Obliquity Arc
- Traversing the Quadrant
- Calculating Sun Declination
- Calculating Sun Altitude
Horary Quadrant Tutorials
- Using the Calendar
- Measuring Time
- Seasonal (“Unequal”) Hours
- Equinoctial (“Equal”) Hours
- Solar Time
Sine Quadrant Tutorials
- Cases of Cursor Readings
- Great Circle Calculations
- Determining Sunrise Bearing
- The Hour Angle
- Sun Azimuth from Hour Angle
- Sun Azimuth from Sun Altitude
- Latitude from Sun Altitude
- 240 pages, black and white
- 72 pictures, 17 tables, dozens of equations
- Perfect bound
- 8" x 5" (12.7 x 20.32 cm)
Operations [Updated: 2021-DEC-01]
- Production, research & development, and order fulfilment are all working undisrupted.
Shipping [Updated: 2021-DEC-01]
- Current run time for oversea orders is about 2-3 weeks avg. This might change at any time depending on situation in country and on freight routes.
- Shipping to the U.S. and Europe is up and running, we currently ship once a week.
- We are not able to accept orders from the UK until further notice pending the resolution of "Brexit" tax and tariff disruptions. In the meantime, please use an alternative European or international address.
- Please check the status page reporting the effects on shipping and delivery by Deutsche Post and DHL as well as our shipping information to see whether it affects you currently and over time.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.