Wndsn Press Room
Wndsn is a Berlin-based small research & design shop developing and selling limited edition, locally manufactured runs offering original products on a monthly schedule.
Founded in 2014, Wndsn started with a single morale patch and an exciting vision to provide adventurers with tools to find their way, as well as bold means to tell their story during and after the voyage.
Wndsn is the passion project of German designer and scientist Alexander Becker. Growing up in the maelstrom of 1980s Berlin, he observed unprecedented historical events at first hand. An understanding of data networks, secure systems, satellite communication, and the power grid emerged from the spirit of the city of tradecraft as essential knowledge and a never-ending field of research and study. Having the cold war ever clear and present fostered an ability to adapt and prevail in hostile and challenging environments. Designing miniaturized evasion and escape kits, as well as ingress and egress tools, honed his ability to combine style, detail and function. A fascination with unique locations, and adventure both at home and abroad, and an extended study of historical navigation techniques and the underlying mathematics, enhanced his perspectives further. He brings an obsessive intensity to the Wndsn project which means each and every item is unique, multi-faceted, and original in style and concept. Every product undergoes systematic and rigorous design and action testing, so you can be assured it won't fail you in a crisis.
Alexander collaborates with a diverse range of other makers, digital strategists, theorists, and adventurers. He welcomes further enhancements to his network and productive partnerships. If you are prepared for original and stimulating discussions, get in touch.
Behind the scenes
Spotlight: Designs like the popular "Polaris Explorer" or "Perpetual Explorer" take upwards of 60 hours and hundreds of iterations to create - drawing, shaping, and ever refining delicate vectors with a precision exceeding the finest tool tolerances; which is a common theme, challenging production tolerances and exploring and exploiting the limits of the chosen materials.
- Extensive product research and materiology testing in the applied science lab.
- Original thinking shaping products and doing pioneer work in collaborations behind the scenes.
- Rapid prototyping and optimized processes enabling short product development cycles.
- Hundreds of metrology instruments sold.
- Thousands of morale patches sold.
- More than 20 new products in 2016.
- More than one new product every week in 2017.
- Several new flagship products in 2018.
- More than 2 years of studying the history of navigation as well as the mathematical field of nomography preceded the creation of unique metrology products.
- Wndsn Telemeters and Quadrants.
- Polaris Explorer Series.
- Perpetual Explorer Series.
- Norse Mythology Series
Find current and archived press releases on the Wndsn XPD page at OpenPR.
Wndsn Press Materials
A repository of print quality pictures and instrument overviews.