A tool for education, makeshift navigation, and rangefinding, the double-sided Wndsn Mini Horary Quadrant Telemeter enables you to do more than merely guessing distances. It lets you measure angular size and compute distance, height or depth of object, altitude, or elevation, it allows computation of sine, cosine, and tangent for a given angle and utilize the baked-in trigonometry to find the desired value by aligning the provided string across the various scales.
The backside features functions derived from ancient astrolabes; a degree and slope quadrant, a shadow square, as well as sine and cosine arcs and an inclinometer scale with horary lines added to the quadrant side, which by now not only enables the user to measure the sun’s altitude on a given date but in addition, to also take the time and visualize daylight hours over the course of a year. By using our string as a plumb line, we enable multiple ways of sighting, plus we let you perform various trigonometric operations with the shadow square and sexagesimal scale, increasing the usefulness of the instrument with the list of applications topping 75 currently.
Using a Wndsn Horary Quadrant Telemeter to determine latitude (at night with Polaris), calculate declination of the day with the respective arc, and a measurement of the Sun altitude (via backsighting), one can derive at least 18 data points and in fact calculate all of them directly on the device. The Quadrant can even be used as a star compass.
The best tool is the one you have with you, on you. Wndsn Telemeters are wallet-size distance and altitude nomographs developed in our applied science lab: Wndsn Telemeters combine a thousand years of civil engineering, surveying, navigation, and astronomy in one durable, low tech, high utility instrument that can be brought anywhere, is self-containing, and independent of external, modern technologies. Wndsn Telemeters are naked-eye tools that offer various means of measuring angular size, as well as graphical computers providing functions to process or convert the measured values. Their purpose is to help you navigate using known landmarks or astronomical features, to get a "second opinion" to cross-check values obtained with different means, or in emergency situations when other methods fail or are unavailable.
Made in Germany. [This is the real deal, this is NOT a replica, it's NOT cast or struck -- our instruments are engraved to the highest precision of tools and materials with every scale mark optimized for the size of the instrument based on in-house computer-calculated tables from historical and contemporary mathematical formulas.]
- Wndsn Mini Horary Quadrant Telemeter, double-sided
- Dyneema string, 0.35 mm turquoise, pre-configured in the required length
- Plumb line weight, tungsten carbide (similar to the one pictured)
- Jewelry pouch
- Display stand
- Wndsn Quadrant morale patch; turquoise & white on black
- Printed 32 page Telemeter & Quadrant Pocketbook (in English and German)
- Official Quadrant Telemeter manual (4th ed., English or German, please specify) as a digital download
See also: Quadrant Telemeter Tutorials
[Note: Due to the manual production process, slight variations in finish can occur. The edges are tool edges, they are somewhat "sharp", and are not beveled or rounded. This will wear off over time, and is the hallmark of a pristine instrument.]
- 2.2" x 2.2" (5.5 x 5.5 cm)
- 1/8" (3 mm) raw, unpolished, unbrushed brass
- About 2 oz (61 g)
Operations [Updated: 2022-AUG-01]
- Production, research & development, and order fulfilment are all working undisrupted.
Shipping [Updated: 2022-AUG-01]
- Current run time for oversea orders is about 2-3 weeks avg. This might change at any time depending on situation in country and on freight routes.
- Shipping to the U.S. and Europe is up and running, we currently ship once a week.
- We are not able to accept orders from the UK until further notice pending the resolution of "Brexit" tax and tariff disruptions. In the meantime, please use an alternative European or international address.
- Please check the status page reporting the effects on shipping and delivery by Deutsche Post and DHL as well as our shipping information to see whether it affects you currently and over time.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.